Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Ho ho ho. Ho. Aaargh. Thud.

As I move on from my shock and horror at the amount I've eaten in the last four days, I share with you that Sib2 forced me to watch Heartbreakers with the rest of the family on Christmas Night. (The other option she offered us was While You Were Sleeping, which isn't all that funny and I've already seen it.)

I do not plan to review Heartbreakers, as it was a vapid piece of trash that belongs nowhere on a cult film site. It's not that I'm necessarily opposed to vapid pieces of trash, it's just that I prefer them to have guns and bleeding in them instead of Jennifer Love Hewitt staggering around in painful heels, tiny skirts, and pushup bras the wearing of which appears likely to cause permanent disfigurement. Sigourney Weaver has earned my pity once more, and Gene Hackman does not deserve what this film does to him.

Also, rigor mortis does not cause erections. It is caused by lockup of actin and myosin in human muscles which are not present in the penis; degradation of those protein interactions is what causes rigor to eventually pass off. An erection present on death in someone facing upwards would disappear moments later as blood pressure fell, unless they were left facing downwards for hours (allowing blood to pool over the whole front of the body incl. the genitalia).

Icky medical fact of the day brought to you by Shalen's House of Morbid Curiosity. Motto: Looking Up Things You Don't Want To Know.

No comments: