Monday, March 12, 2007

A Clockwork Orange made of CHOCOLATE!

Mm. Chocolate.

I know we so far tend to pretend each of us is blogging in a vacuum here ("Ack! My lungs! But you can't hear me because there is no air to transmit sound!"), but I'm going to slightly respond to Justin's post and say I agree totally. It was the Happy Fuzzy Bunny view of the universe that originally turned me off on Star Trek after being a fan of it through much of my late childhood/early teen years. I mean, c'mon, Wrath of Khan is everybody's favorite movie, and it's certainly one of the grimmest of the franchise. Or so I hear. Bizarre as it seems, it's the only one I haven't actually seen other than Nemesis.

I'm watching A Clockwork Orange as a workout movie right now. I turned it off after about 3/4 of the way through last night. It's a fairly nauseating film. Not so much because of the content, which I suspect I am too desensitized to be shocked by, but because of the internal bombardment. Are we supposed to sympathize with this protagonist? Are we supposed to hate him? We can't distance ourselves from this sadistic little sociopath because he's the narrator and obviously the central character in the story. Should we pity his misfortunes when we've seen what he has done?

And the meditation on free will is more or less ruined for me by the giant codpieces Alex and his droogs wear, by the way. Gyaaaah. There's a reason why the pictures of Alex in his bowler - the iconic image of this film - always show him from the waist up.

Kubrick was an odd, odd man.

No comments: