Thursday, March 1, 2007

More Gaming Nonsense

I know we should be talking about movies a bit more on the blog, but then again, this is here for stuff that doesn't quite fit in with MRFH's main site!

A few points of video gaming interest that has recently caught my attention:

BAD: Bioshock's been pushed to an August release. As awesome of a RPG/horror/FPS game as this looks, to wait is nearly intolerable. A scary underwater 30's art deco utopia gone awry? Yes, please!

GREAT: The Longest Journey/Dreamfall looks set to receive its third and final installment... sort of. Funcom is planning on releasing the last chapter of the trilogy in downloadable installments, to be later packaged and sold as a whole. Can't wait to finish the tale!

INTERESTING: THQ's announced that they'll be developing Warhammer 40K as a MMORPG (which was on my wish list not just a couple blog posts ago). Of course, with any announced MMO, it'll be a few years before we see squat.

GOOD: I might have to eat my words about Lord of the Rings Online. I expressed doubts in my upcoming MMO blog, which was before the NDA on this game was lifted and incredible press started surfacing. While it doesn't contain the look or exact feel of the films (the game is based off the books), LOTRO is starting to make big waves in the gaming community as a very polished MMO that plays like WOW, but with a few twists and changes. The more I've read about this, the more excited I've gotten over the low-magic classes and the very interesting deeds/accomplishments/traits systems. I like ways to advance a character more than just waiting for the *ding* every level -- to earn a new skill or upgrade in the middle of a level, just for accomplishing a task, seems awesome. LOTRO also rolled out their Founders program, which I guess I'll try out. You preorder the game, and you not only get a week head start on the open beta, but you get to keep your characters from open beta *after launch* (up to level 15), get a few cool items, and be offered discounted pricing ($10/month or $200/lifetime). Open beta starts in early April, so it might be worth checking out if you're a Tolkein or MMO fan.

No comments: