Sunday, June 29, 2008

Prequels, Sequels & Remakes


Robert Rodriguez will be producing a remake of Red Sonja, with Rose McGowan starring of course, for a 2010 release. "I was surprised when Rose brought me a script of Red Sonja that she liked. I found it very entertaining. Sonja was strong, smart, cunning — just about everything she'd have to be to survive." (Submitted by Sitting Duck)

Louis Leterrier will direct a remake of 1981’s Harryhausen special effects showcase Clash of the Titans for Warner Brothers. Lawrence Kasdan has written the script based on the Greek myth of Perseus, and it’s expected to use the same green screen technique as 300.

Guillermo del Toro on The Hobbit and the unnamed Middle Earth movie: "I'm trying to be faithful, like, when I was trying to create a screenplay about Tarzan and people asked me, 'Is it going to be horror?' I said, 'No, no, no.' The thing is, I'm trying to re-create on the screen the feeling I had when I was 11 in my bed reading the book. How excited I got. How great I thought it was. That's what I'm trying to honor. I'm not trying to honor either my style or what I'm gravitating normally towards. I know that for a fact I gravitated towards the novel. So there's something there that echoes with me very strongly, which is not the case with most fantasy, in my case. We've [del Toro and Weta Workshop] had chats where we sketch out what we think of the two movies, but there's no writing. There is note-taking, there is breaking down the novel, there is a lot of work already being done on our parts, but real preproduction will not start until late July." He also says that he will be focusing on them only, and won’t be working on any of his other projects from now until December.

The official synopsis for X-Files: I Want to Believe:
“In grand 'X-Files' manner, the film's storyline is being kept under wraps. This much can be revealed: It is a stand-alone story in the tradition of some of the show's most acclaimed and beloved episodes, and takes the complicated relationship between Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Anderson) in unexpected directions. Mulder continues his unshakable quest for the truth, and Scully, the passionate, ferociously intelligent physician, remains inextricably tied to Mulder's pursuits.” That’s, quite possibly, the least informative thing ever.

Korea’s Chungeorahm and China’s Stone Man Films will co-produce a Chinese sequel to the Korean monster movie The Host. Written and directed by Ning Hao, lightening the political tones of the first to avoid criticizing the Chinese government, it’ll focus on people ignoring a monster because of greed.

Producer Laura Ziskin says that Spider-Man 4 is tentatively scheduled for May 2011. There is no finished screenplay, and Tobey Maguire and Sam Raimi aren’t yet committed, but Sony has renewed the rights and they and Ziskin think it can be ready in three years.

Director Matt Reeves says that any Cloverfield sequel will have to wait until the creators can find a story they’re happy with. "The thing that we sort of promised ourselves is we only wanted to do another one if we could come up with something that felt as fresh to us to make as that one did. We're still kind of toying with what it's going to be and whether or not we're going to find something that will be as exciting for us to make and, hopefully, for an audience to watch. So we'll see. It's really in the baby, baby stages. And right now it's definitely on hold until we come up with what that would be."

No comments: