Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Motion Capture and You

Self, Sib1 and friend Enigmatic are trying to learn to mocap for Blender and 3ds Max. My plan is to get the new animations into Oblivion for the PC as part of my current mod project, Arachnalia. It's an ugly workaround, since Bethesda is highly resistant to modders for Oblivion and this is ESPECIALLY true regarding animations, but I think we can do it. I'd like to see some new combat anims and idles. Sib1 is a martial artist with knowledge of moves in a few different styles and is proving besides to be a fluid and convincing physical actor.

On the movie front, Sib2 and I have been trying to watch a copy of In the Mouth of Madness that I got from Netflix, but it freaks out on the hallucinatory scenes and crashes the dvd player. Eerie yet funny. I'm asking them for another copy today, since I would like to actually watch the film without going maaaaad.

The Sibs have also introduced me to Hellsing, which I'm finding far less obnoxious than I find most anime. (Hated Ghost in the Shell and Metropolis, refuse adamantly to watch Princess Mononoke.) Alucard is awesome, with his whole "I'm eight feet tall and wearing a ladies' hat and ribbon tie, yet I'm still cool" vibe. Unfortunately he is on screen far less than the little twit he keeps calling "Police Girl," who looks like a twelve-year-old with breast implants. Disturbing. I do like that the show skews more toward gore than rampant female-only nudity, however. When we get all the way through it I may just produce my first ever Spawn of the Screen review.

Sib2 says she won't watch let me watch Bones with her any more, though. I think she was annoyed by my raucous laughter.

No comments: