Friday, April 6, 2007

I'm filled with shame.

It is with great sorrow and embarrassment that I realized today that I have neither looked at nor posted in this blog for some weeks now. It's easy to forget and let it drop out of mind, since one generally doesn't see the kind of feedback for the blog that one does for the reviews and articles and random cranky forum posts. In all fairness, I've been neglecting my mostly-modding-related LiveJournal page, too.

I watched Demolition Man recently with some friends I was visiting. I saw it once before, but it was very long ago, I was much younger, and my memory is spotty. It was probably on TV while I was doing homework. This time I was able to give it my full attention, and it was hilarious. Not only that, but it was frequently hilarious on purpose. This truly amazes me in a Sylvester Stallone movie. I remember in particular the consistency with John's swearing in public and getting constantly fined, complete with verbal notification and receipt printing out in the background.

The sex thing was just silly, but I'm thinking they probably just wanted to work in a Barbarella reference for some obscure reason. I found myself wondering, "If nobody ever has sex, why is she wearing a short halter dress to dinner? What's the point of looking sexy? In order to encourage guys to fantasize about virtual slideshows of your face in extreme closeup?" Do pastors in that world encourage young women to dress modestly so that young men won't have naughty thoughts about trading alpha waves?

My friend Enigmatic's contention was that the aesthetic of the human body might be reason enough to expose it even in the truly bizarre context of a sex-free world. He could be right. It's too weird an idea to picture, really. For one thing, 48% of the human species would have to be killed before it could be implemented.

No comments: